Immediate employment opening at West Bay Pilpino Multi-Service Center
Job Title: Executive Director
Employment Type: Full Time
West Bay Pilipino (WBP) is the longest running Filipino non-profit organization in San Francisco, CA. WBP serves the Filipino youth through programming activities specifically preparing the youth to succeed personally and academically leading to higher education. WBP also provides social services to the youth and families including providing meals for the elderly in the South of Market. WBP finances come from local government and through fundraising efforts.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization’s activities
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Promote active and broad participation with volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization by maintaining a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
- Ensure that the board is fully informed on the conditions of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 5 or more years of progressive management experience in a voluntary sector or non-profit organization
- Organization and ability to prioritize is key
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly and efficiently to urgent requests
- Must possess excellent oral, written, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/ voluntary organizations
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including: employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage etc…
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
- Knowledge of human resources management
- Knowledge of financial management
- Knowledge of project management
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Master’s degree
- 2 years non-profit experience
- HR certification
- Comprehension of bookkeeping and financial reporting
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Leadership: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency in order to support the team.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and manage time and resources accordingly
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Able to work in a mostly digital environment where communication is done primarily by email, phone and conference call
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
West Bay Multi-Service Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Brian Figula, Board Chair
West Bay Pilipino Multi-Service Center